Welcome to littleBits forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Welcome @rosierjay! You’ve got a bunch of folks here happy to help with project development or bit recommendations. Keep us posted on your making in the Project Buzz section or upload to our Project page. Look :eyes: forward to seeing what you create :grinning:!

Welcome @jae_hess! Loved your #hackhalloween project :ghost: And I would love love :heart: to hear more about the plans/curriculum for your afterschool program! It’s a big interest of mine as well :wink:

Had a wonderful visit from the Budapest Chapter leaders: Peter, Szilveszter and Gabor!

2 Likes

Hi there! My name is Charlotte and I am getting ready to graduate college in May with a degree as an ELA and ESL middle school teacher! I have gotten involved in the Makerspace at my school since I am conducting an independent study this semester on the subject, and I have been learning how to teach Make lessons in the English Language Arts classroom! It is hard but so, so fun. I look forward to learning more from all of you about littleBits and how I can use them in the classroom. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi @charlottepohlig! Using technology for English classes is very exciting, I can see lots of unusual applications for littleBits to fill.

And thanks for accepting the challenge of middle school! :smiley:

1 Like

Hi everyone! I’m Richard from near Edinburgh in the UK, and I’m really excited to start inventing and exploring with LittleBits. I run a STEM club for P6/P7 pupils (ages 11-13 here), and I’m looking forward to introducing them to the world of LittleBits and how electronics are nothing to be afraid of!

I have a background in Physics, and I’m currently a post-doctoral research associate at Heriot-Watt University where I mainly build an experiment with lasers - sadly not something that I can do with the kids in the STEM club!

1 Like

Welcome to the forums @r_a_mccracken. What kind of projects/design challenges will you be assigning your club?

Why hello there @r_a_mccracken! This should be a lot of fun!

You rock @charlottepohlig! Keep doing great things!!

alt text

public static void myIntro(){

Hello All!  My name is Robert Strunk and 
     I am a software developer.  I specialize in writing
     enterprise applications on the Force.com platform.

In order to develop my IoT skills, I was lucky enough
     to get a Smart Home Kit and I am very excited to 
     start tinkering!

}
2 Likes

Nice to meet you @rstrunk! Looking forward to seeing what IoT inventions you create! Feel free to start a new topic on the Project Buzz section with your project ideas, and other Bitsters will be sure to help! :smile:

I melted seeing these new Hack Halloween photos from our Cape Town, South Africa Chapter leaders: https://www.flickr.com/photos/littlebitsglobalchapters/.

2 Likes

My name is Leo. Hello everyone! Right now, I am am having a problem of establishing a serial port: under Tools>Port, the serial port option is dim, and only the Bluetooth port option is available. How do I get the serial port option to work?

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Ask a littleBits engineer

Hi Everybody, I am Donald Drake, an American Kinetic Artist living in Berlin, Germany specializing in Chain Reactions. I make Chain Reaction footage and my wife does music for the footage. Normally for motors I have K’nex motors, and a stripped oscillating fan, however I am psyched to explore servos and tricks in the electrical category with my new Gizmo and Gadgets kit. Here is a sample of my work without using littlebits technology https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P6wyM3dDss

So far I have made footage where the Servo motor slides a strip of cardboard along the table using friction from the rubber wheel, and I was able to power this mechanism by having the 9 volt battery slide down a ramp and using it’s own weight power the motor, I love how sensitive the contacts are for the batter strip.

Anyway, I hope to share my future electrical kinetic chain reaction tricks and complicated if-then sequences with everyone! I think the first littlebits infused Chain Reaction Machine will be out two or three mondays from now!

1 Like

Wow Donald! (@DonaldDrakeMachines)

I love the complexity of your RGMs. That is the kind of stuff that littleBits will really, uh … snap into. Can’t wait to see your first LB project.

1 Like

Good Evening,

I just joined into the community.
Just call me AutisticCaitian1958.
I am a 57 year-old adult with Autism and Cerebral Palsy.
I am a graduate of Wentworth Institute with a Bachelor of Science degree in Electronics Engineering Technology.
I am prematurely retired on SSDI, but I still tinker in the basement where I have my workbench with equipped with:
(2) Oscilliscopes
(2) Function Generators
Several Power Supplies,
(2) Digital Multimeters

Anyway, one of these littleBits microcontroller kits appeared under the Christmas Tree this morning, and I am going to see what I can do with it.

AutisticCaitian1958

2 Likes

Hello My name is Josh. I recently got littlebits and I love it. I love inventing things. Before I had littlebits I used to take broken electronics fix them then take them apart and make really cool and usefull things out of them. The other day my mixer broke and I was bored so I turned it into a high powerd fan. Its great to meet you all.

1 Like

Hello All . I’m Dominick Vanacore starting the Β THE Δ littleBits chapter in Yorktown Heights, NY. I’m excited to join the community. My passion is teaching kids about science and technology. I’m looking forward to teaching kids about littleBits! I am planning to have my first littleBits session at the end of January. Anyone have some advice ? Thanks!

1 Like

Hi, I’m Jeff. We joined the maker movement as a way to engage our kids in technology and volunteer at our elementary school’s before-school maker space. We bought a CloudBit as a family gift this Christmas because both kids are Minecraft nuts. We really liked the concept of Minecraft interaction with the physical world. I’m also interested in learning some ins and outs of IoT using the CloudBit. Looking forward to some fun.

1 Like