Welcome to littleBits forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Welcome, @magsamond and Niall! What sort of things do you think your students might make?

Hi Paul @CodeAcademy and @magsamond! I hope we’ll see you at the next Community Call, which is Oct 1, Noon EST.! It’s a great chance to meet other Bitsters!

Continuing the discussion from Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :slight_smile::

Hi guyz I’m Payne from Orlando, picked up the synthkit a while back, and now becuase of the sad death of radio shack, I’ve fallen hard into the bits, driving around picking clean all the still open shack near me. I have a deep (-ish) background in electronic music and if anyone has any questions about the synthkit or synthesis when it comes to audio or any questions when it comes to audio recording or production feel free to ask me. Happy tinkering <3

1 Like

Hi, Payne @Gradiuscat. I’m glad you’ve found yourself knee deep in bits. :wink:
If you had a favorite bit to add to the synth kit, what would it be? (Answer that question here: Favorite extra modules to use with the Synth Kit )

Hi! My name is Sol Girón and I just started with littleBits. I run small tinkering workshops in the city and seems like littleBits its a great way to get everyone excited about electronics and saving the world. :smile: (If you want to check our project, go to this FB page: https://www.facebook.com/kaleidoscopios.ctf… website is still under construction).

Let me know… what is the best strategy you can think of to start working with littleBits and kids. What is a project they will certainly love?? (By the way, I got a Workshop set and a few light sensors, buzzers and slide dimmers on the way).

Happy tinkering to you all!

1 Like

Hi everyone, I’m Luca from Italy. I’m a graphic designer interested also in web design, coding, and interaction design. Currently I’m attending my master at ISIA Urbino. I love hip hop and rap for me is the right soundtrack when I’m playin around with my circuits :smiley:

Welcome, Luca @Flow_Wolf! Can you tell us what interests you about interaction design and coding? What inspires you?

You have some Italian company here. I’d like to introduce you to @LaTataRobotica, @ValentinaC and @HackLab_Terni. You all are welcome to start a thread and chat in Italian if you like. :smile:

Hello!

I am opening a store in Portland, OR in August/September that carries pre-owned and collectible LEGO sets, parts and minifigures. I will also hold birthday parties. This is where I need help.

I have searched high and low on the internet for directions in how to build a derby race track timer with Little Bits. It must be possible. The stopwatch would begin when the car leaves the starting line and stop when it passes the finish, holding the time on the numbers display.

To be clear, I am very new to Little Bits having just purchased various components that could be part of this track timer at a closing Radio Shack.

If you can steer me in any direction I would appreciate it.

PS> I have all kinds of other ideas for Little Bits and LEGO for the store, so am excited boa the platform.

Thanks!
Spencer

Hi, @bamportland! I don’t think anyone has done this exact thing yet, so you might be blazing a new trail. :slight_smile: Here are a couple projects and people that might inspire you.

littleBits Automated Railroad by @RBender

LEGO Rail Crossing Arm and Counter by david.mccormack

Hi @bamportland,
The following possibility crossed my mind (not tested but just an idea):
The only bit with timing is (I think) the Arduino bit.
So using two inputs connected to for example a light sensor or infrared sensor could work…
As readout the number bit could be used, connected to the output of the Arduino. It only has 2 digits so it could only count 99 seconds …
Would this be a road to go ? :slight_smile:
Nice challenge to write a derby race track program …

Just thought about the number bit: when you connect two number bits , each on an output of the Arduino, you could count seconds and tenths of seconds or seconds and minutes, just choose what you like to count… :smile:

Thanks for the info. A couple of days ago I found a very short YouTube video showing a derby timer built with little bits, but it had no instructions. When you refer to the infrared sensor do you mean the infrared LED? I have two timers and an arduino. Do you think infrared would be better than a motion (maybe too sensitive)? Thanks!

Hi @bamportland,
The Arduino can take care of the timing, so I think the timer bits are of no use in this case.
Experimenting with a few types of input bits will be the best way to go.
I only mentioned the infrared sensor because it is not influenced by normal light. Maybe a motion trigger could do the job, just try it.:slight_smile:

Thanks. Yep, probably just need to get my hands dirty with it.

1 Like

Ok!
Happy tinkering and please show us the result !
And keep posting any questions you have, everyone on this forum will try to answer them…

Hello Little Bits team. I am Stefano and I own a kit and I really like the little bits. I joined #InventAnything because I want to know more about the little bits.

Hello littleBits community. I’m Joe Dean starting the Silicon Valley littleBits chapter in San Jose, CA. I’m excited to join the community and learn from you all! Being the father of three boys, my passion is teaching kids about programming and robotics. I’ve been teaching kids how to program for the past 4 years and I have been coaching my son’s robotics team for the past 2 years. I look forward to teaching kids about littleBits! I am planning to have my first littleBits session on August 6th. I’ve got some fun games planned, (e.g., electronic fishing pond). Anyone have some good advice for me? Thanks!

Hi @joedean

Welcome :slight_smile: My name is Amnon and I manage the Sydney chapter as part of TechScience.

A good tip from my experience is to give the kids structured guidance. We have lots of relatively smaller kids (mostly 8-9), and we find it very useful to hand them over a set of pre-selected bits to work with rather than have them figure out which bits they require for the project. This prevents fighting over bits and going way off the planned project. The kids still get to build the project in any way they wish which gets the creativity out. When the kids are more experienced you can give them more of a free hand in selecting the bits they are after.

You are welcome to get some ideas of our workshops from the photos and videos in our (currently small, about to be much bigger) LittleBits page: http://www.techscience.com.au/#!littlebits/c9cv We also have quite a few detailed projects on our chapter page: http://littlebits.cc/community/chapters/techscience-australia

Good luck and if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My name is Justin Miller and I am a musician and maker of things. I recently acquired a little bits synth kit and can’t put it down. I even fabricated my own little bits synth stand to hold all of my modules. Endless amounts of fun in such a small/cheap package!

Hey @Justin_Michael_Mille, welcome to the community! What type of music have you been creating?