Text to speech on arduino

There is a text-to-speech library (TTS) that works on the arduino with either pin 5 or 9 in analog mode hooked to the synth speaker. see

it produces a robot-like voice. for a fancier and more expensive solution, you might wire up an emic 2

1 Like

Hiya @manitou :slight_smile: This sounds awesome! Any chance you could share a short demo vid?

Talkie

littlebits arduino/leonardo can also speak pre-encoded words to the synth speaker on pin 5 using the talkie library (F_CPU must be 16mhz), see

Hi @manitou,

Thanks for sharing this speech synthesizing project !
I tried it with my Littlebits Arduino Leonardo, but it did not work…
I suppose the talkie library is not suitable for the Arduino Leonardo, the hardware setup is different.

It really works nice with an arduino Uno, see this video, where I connected the Synth speaker to output 3 via a proto bit:

There was also a small error in the program file, you need to declare the sentence files with “const uint8_t” instead of “uint8_t”. This needs to be done when you are using the most recent compiler, else you get an error and compiling is halted…
:grinning:

The adafruit talkie library works just fine on my littlebits arduino/leonardo with the the synth speaker attached to d5. I get no compile errors with Arduino 1.8.4, ok with Arduino 1.8.5 too. I ran the example Vocab_US_Clock.

make sure you have the correct library, it has conditionals for AVR_ATmega32U4 that utilize leonardo TIMER4 and pin 5.

Works for me!

1 Like

Hi @manitou,

I first downloaded the library and examples from the link on the quickstart page of Github instead of using the download button in the right top corner…
Then I got an old library and old examples (with the declaration error) from 2015.
I downloaded everything again, using the correct download button (it has files from 2017) and it works !
:grinning: Great !

1 Like

How could I add my own words to the predefined ones ?
This could be used in many Littlebits projects…

This is amazing. Could you help me by guiding me through the procedure.
I am just starting out with Arduino.