Recap Jan 28, 2015: Privacy in the Era of IoT

#Greetings bit’sters!

Today’s meetup was an utter and complete delight, soup to nuts.

#Top Moments from the Call:

@Philip_Verbeek showed us his scientist set-up / cockpit:

We designed activities to help people learn about privacy and IoT. @ValentinaC shared this video about a “magician” who predicts things about people…but actually just finds their data online first.

@anmol1771 came up with this great aphorism

@littleBits @mozzadrella "More connected the world is, more vulnerable it is..." - Me ;)

— Anmol Agrawal (@anmol1771) January 28, 2015

@JackANDJude shared their amazing instrument and blew us all away

Homework for Next Week!

Hack a Design Challenge! Dig in an tell us what we could do better.

Agenda for Next Week!

We’ll be working on how to design events for your local community. Please:

1. Think about a littleBits event that you have been to or would like to throw
  2. Be prepared to share a short description of your vision.

Thank you for all of your thoughtful feedback.

@JackANDJude your project made me think about this guy here:

Also a good idea to use your project in an activity could be using your device to make music with famous paintings! It could be a good STEAM activity! What do you think?

Paul Gauguin: Parau api, (Two Women of Tahiti) 1892, oil on canvas, 67 x 91 cm, Galerie Neue Meister

Or maybe you can use your device for something similar:
http://www.livescience.com/33673-tree-rings-sound-record-player.html

1 Like

@ValentinaC
I REALLY like Neil Harbisson’s cyborg! I heard him say in an interview that he can hear 365 colors differently.

Re STEAM activity: Oh, yes. I actually used it on my own painting of Jack for the bitlab submission video. :smile: Now I’m thinking of making paintings specifically for the color sensor.

I’ve limited the color sensor to sense ROYGBIV+Magenta, and it will try to put any color into one of those “color buckets”. For example, painted skin tones will be detected as orange, sometimes yellow. In an earlier prototype, used in the Ocular Keytar project, I had mapped 12 colors so that I had a discrete color for every note on an octave. In use, however, I found it frustratingly difficult to color or paint just the right Red-Orange, Orange-Yellow, Yellow-Green, and Blue-Green. That is why I eliminated those colors for synth mode, resulting in only 8 colors (no “black keys” mapped to colors). I really enjoyed the idea of mapping the 12 colors of the color wheel to 12 notes on an octave, because I hoped to paint something that sounded and looked harmonious.

I want this to be simple enough to use so that all you need is a box of crayons or paints without special mixing required.

2 Likes

@JackANDJude yes, Neil Harbisson is an interesting example! He was also thinking to expand the range of colors he can feel, adding also the ultraviolet colors. What is amazing about him, is that he can compose music according to the shades of color he listens when he approaches someone. This is simply amazing.
He was at Maker Faire in Rome last year (below the talk) Have a look at the video, it may give you some extra-inspiration :smile:

RE -RE STEM: Maybe for your project, you should refer to pantone colors. This can make the mapping easier. So you will know for sure what shade of color you are actually using.

2 Likes