No purple box (Etch-a-Sketch)-small gray one

Hi,
Pulled out this kit to figure out how to use it prior to introducing it to my students.
Trying to use the etch-a-sketch code. Downloaded everything, arduino blinks, everything uploads…NO purple box…small gray one and the dimmers do not work.

I am on a Macbook Pro.

Can anyone help???
thanks!

Hello @LALawrence
I have tried this today on my Windows 10 PC and this is what I did :sunny:

• I have downloaded both files and put them in a single folder named Etch_A_Sketch
  • In this folder, I created a new folder called Etch_A_Sketch-Arduino
  • In this folder, I moved the file called Etch_A_Sketch-Arduino.ino
  • Also in this folder, I created a new folder called Etch
  • I copied the downloaded file Etch_A_Sketch-Processing.pde into the Etch folder and renamed it into Etch.pde
  • I downloaded Processing found here Processing download and installed it.
  • I opened Etch.pde
  • I opened the Etch_A_Sketch-Arduino.ino in the Arduino app en verified the com port.
  • I downloaded this sketch to Arduino
  • Now, when pressing play in the Processing app, I see a purple box and can draw lines with the dimmers connected to the arduino.

This is in a windows environment, so I hope that some Mac users will contribute to this :wink:

Wouldn’t it be better to start with an easier project ? This one depends on so many variables.
You can find so many examples on the LittleBits website.

Good luck :grinning:

Thank you so much @Frankje!
I was completely lost with the original instructions and your simple instructions worked perfectly on my MacBook Pro.

I’ll just add, for others like myself with little programming experience, when you open the Etch.pde file, you will need to go to line 56 and add your serial port number. The line of code you are looking for looks like this:

myPort = new Serial(this, Serial.list()[], 9600);

I am not sure if there is an easy/obvious way to figure out the port number. I just started guessing with 1 and it worked, so my code looks like this:

myPort = new Serial(this, Serial.list()[1], 9600);