Make: Upcycle Something In Your House

@JackANDJude If I am not wrong the littleBits cloud module uses IFTTT to trigger actions from the module. You should check at IFTTT if there is already the “recipe” you are looking for - in your case the forum one - and if needed create a new recipe.

1 Like

I upcycled an old toy house and some random toys by attaching NFC (Near Field Communication) chips to them. When I place them over my NFC enabled smartphone, the smartphone sends #tagged SMS texts to IFTTT.com. An IFTTT recipe sends a specific % output out the cloudBit to the Arduino, which then does smart stuff.

Check out the project page here: http://littlebits.cc/projects/smart-playhouse-nfc

1 Like

@JackANDJude I love how each “character” has roles and responsibilities that all have certain triggers. I am going to make a noisy pet :smile:

2 Likes

… continued from Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :slight_smile: in reply to @vanessa

Hi, @br1wr2el3. Nice to “meet” you. I posted a project today (see the smart playhouse #NFC link and video above) that combines the cloudBit with the Arduino module, and I hope you will find some inspiration from it for your Arduino / claw project idea.

If you have the smart home kit, you can add the ir transmitter and AC switch to make your garage light turn on from your car (cell phone).

1 Like

My project this week is http://littlebits.cc/projects/modified-fish-feeder . I was clearly inspired by the littlebits fish feeder project used to highlight the smart home kit. However, that project relied on pellet food for smooth operation. Our tetras, frog, and one guppy eat flake food, so I was having trouble deciding how to deliver the food while we were away.

Last night at dinner, inspiration struck: my 5 year old had made a conveyor belt with parts from our (massive) LEGO collection, and if I just brought that into the party, we’d be set. So, using the LEGO adapter to connect the motor to the axle of the conveyor belt, I just needed to connect the CloudBit, and we now have a super-simple remote fish feeder. Just press the CloudControl button for 3 seconds and the food dispenses. Pre-loading the conveyor is necessary.

The only issue I’m having with it is that sometimes the motor gets actuated by CloudControl, and just keeps going. I’m not sure how to monitor whether that is happening from afar… Ideas?

4 Likes

Hello!
Was good to meet you all on the IoT hangout! :roller_coaster:

my three ideas from the video inspiration:

1. wet food feeder
  2. litter box alert - will try the ir receiver and sound trigger, i got a bend sensor Im testing now (though issue currently is with the cloudbit part of the equation)
  3. sock dryer - fan and time outs, or could be a drink cooler but what would the smart version be…?

What about yours?

Cheers
Kelly :grin:

1 Like

Here is mine
Laptop Closer

Hello @itchyfoots Kelly :slight_smile: I like the litter box alert- I know I could use one too…what issue are you encountering with the cloudbit?

Figured it out - there is a delay from when cloudbit it activated to it showing up in google drive via ifttt receipe. While testing some wouldn’t show up but thinking with delay that maybe triggering it too close together. Thanks!

In the olden days, I used really low tech to keep the dog off the furniture (like aluminum foil). Today, we can go high tech!

Dog Off the Couch!

littleBits really lends itself to a “rapid prototyping” design lifecycle… try something quickly for proof of concept, like I did with this, then refine it. I think learning about the design process can be helpful to people who aren’t sure where to start. You can use a traditional “waterfall” model (sequential: propose… specify… design… build… debug) or “spiral” (iterative: propose… build… refine… rebuild… refine… rebuild…).

1 Like

@chloeatplay: the cloudbit is back not working again. It just alternates between yellow and purple light [about ten second between each]. How to fix? Thank you

Hi @itchyfoots! oh no, sorry to hear :slight_smile: Please write at support@littlebits.cc so you can egt some help from our customer support ninjas!

Hi Kelly! It sounds like your cloudBit is power-cycling.

It’s most likely trying to draw too much (either there are too many modules connected or you’re using wires or forks in front of the cloudBit).

Additionally, please make sure you’re using usb->wall adapter for power.

I’d like to hear more about your project (even if it is a work in progress) perhaps on the Project Buzz area of the forum: http://discuss.littlebits.cc/c/project-discussion

You can post a new topic with your pics there, details, ideas, etc.

1 Like

@JackANDJude @chloeatplay nothing back from support yet but saw on another forum about adding in extra power. I’ve messaged @Patrick_littleBits in that forum for more detail.

I have it plugged into power outlet wall adaptor. The circuit then goes wire, sound trigger, wire, wire, bar graph light, cloudbit, led long light.

Will get my project up today, I should be able to make it on time for the call today too! :smile:

Thanks!

Hi everyone! I’m brand new to little bits so I just modeled by upcycle after the Remote Pet Feeder project. I didn’t have a lot of the materials that are show in the base, so I decided to upcycle a sturdy box. I am not strong enough to unscrew the servo to mount inside/outside the box so I just taped it to the top. My triggers are time and texting #feedkitty to ifttt This was soooo fun to make and see in action!!
[Remote Cat Feeder][1]

[1]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klTGwCXU5YA&feature=youtu.be

Cool, make, @Jjjllybean :slight_smile: . Your cat looked startled at first, but then decided it was a good thing. :smile_cat:

Can you please add this to the project page, and then share the link to that project here? Here are some pointers for posting to the project page.

Thanks for the links @JackANDJude , I made a project page. My first one! It’s in my original post, but here it is again. http://littlebits.cc/projects/remote-pet-feeder-using-just-two-boxes-tape-and-little-bits

2 Likes

BOOM @Jjjllybean. We should have a Pet-Remote-Feeder design-off and show the range of ideas for this.

Well done and welcome to the littleBits-makerly community!

Just started the first virtual Rube-Goldberg Machine, Version 0.1: Feel free to have a look at it.

Isn’t it crazy, that such a contraption isn’t bound to a single place anymore and could span the whole globe? Think about a global Rube-Goldberg Machine connecting thousands of crazy bitsters, LEGOists, OK Go-ers, hackers, artists and so on. I love the idea.

Anyone who wants to join me, drop me a note. I will set up a homepage on http://virtualrubegoldberg.com/ some time later.

Cheers,

Matthias