Let me help you #MakeYourOwnBits

I built the module in response to my 6yr olds challenge that he wanted a range sensor to use with his littlebits so he can make some circuits he has ideas for.

So far he has the idea for an intruder alert if someone try’s to sneak a cookie and to alert if the door opens a certain amount.
Here’s the video we made for the bitlab submission https://youtu.be/a5Vv4K6MEeY

3 Likes

Hi @joey,

From my experience I can tell that it can take up to a month from submitting the Bit till finally being published. This may vary because littleBits plans the publishing of Bits tactical etc.

For my RGB LED Bit, Andrew, of littleBits back then, asked me to use other music due to copyright claims etc. He kept me updated on the progress. Also if I wanted to change description text or images I could contact him for that.

For my NFC Bit, Dennis, of Bitlab back then, just kept me up to date on when they would publish it. Also I asked him to edit the description text and images for me.

For the Radio Bit, Syed directly contacted me that they would discuss it over the next week and after a month he mailed me again that the Bit is published.

For all my Bits I never got feedback and are just the way I designed them. LittleBits also wants the community to respond on the Bits etc. look at it from a different kind of view etc.
I think littleBits will only give feedback if there’s some kind of good reason. Not specific to the design etc.

Hope that helped.

1 Like

I submitted mine two weeks ago and it’s still in a “pending review” status. It’s also locked to any changes. So I doubt you can make changes after its open for votes.

Im gonna find out the answers to your other question soon as mine opens for votes. Good luck!

You can’t change the text, video and images yourself after submitting. But you can mail your contact person from littleBits to change it for you. That’s what I did at least.

Wow. Thats longer than I thought but I guess they probably have a backlog of modules they are working thru. I would love to know how many modules get submitted a month. It would also be great if LittleBits published a list of those modules that did not get enough votes. I think we could all learn a lot from studying that list.

Thanks so much for your help @Philip_Verbeek

you too @shaiss

-j

@joey

When I drastically changed my Color Sensor module before it got reviewed, I simply created a new submission with new pics, video and text, and then I asked my contact to replace the old submission with the new one.

With the Tilt Trigger, I got feedback requesting changes to my video, because I hadn’t made the functionality clearly understandable.

Once the voting process begins, however, I think editing should stop, unless you want to withdraw that submission and start the process again with a new submission.

1 Like

Yea, that makes sense. Now that I know that it can take up to a month before the module begins the voting process, it will give me a little more time to work on demos and such. I’ve heard that some folks who look at the SoundControl module briefly have been confused and thought it had something to do with music. I guess it kind of does but not really…

I’m sure the name doesn’t help much in that regard.

I figure the best thing I can do from a marketing perspective is show a series of demos showing all the different types of things one could do with the module.

4 Likes

I think the name is great, @joey! One thing I’d say is to double check your audio levels when your voice is saying which channel is playing. Maybe that will help clear up the confusion?

In regards to demoing the different things you can do with a module, I’d use the EMG spiker box as a reference. Their video is long, but humorous and crams a lot of demos and explanations.

It took about a month and a half for my stepper module to be published. I did not get any comments from littleBits about the submission. Jude messaged me earlier this week that the module had moved into the voting stage.

@Philip_Verbeek thanks for the challenge ;). Took me some time to get the parts and clean up the code and learn to program the attiny85. But success is at hand at last:

I’ve moved the range sensor of to the attiny85 and next step will be to make it permanent on a protoboard!

Thanks again @Philip_Verbeek @chris101 @JackANDJude for the help and inspiration!

4 Likes

Nice chatting with you today, @Philip_Verbeek :grinning:

3 Likes

Hi @JackANDJude @shaiss @chris101 @Philip_Verbeek @joey @drthuler,
I would like to share my experiences with the bitlab with you :smile: :
First I submitted a relay bit and it stayed silent for a few months. Then it was published but it got not enough votes. Then Littlebits asked me to resubmit the same thing again (second chance) but with some more application examples. So I did resubmit with a new video, finally it also got not enough votes and it was silently removed.
Then I submitted a bolted version of the fixing shoes, this was rejected because only new bits were accepted, no accessories.
Then I submitted a reed switch bit which also got not enough votes and it was removed from the bitlab.
Both bits, the relay bit and the reed switch, were published for voting together with an alternative bit, submitted by another member. I received no remarks or comments to improve or change the design. :smile:

1 Like

The pleasure’s all mine!:slight_smile:

Pretty cool company you are keeping @Philip_Verbeek! What’s that thing in your hand? It looks interesting … :wink:

1 Like

My experiences are similar to your’s @alexpikkert. I submitted the stepper motor early as advised by the staff., and then continued to work on it’s development. If my module does not get 1K vote in 4 more weeks, then I will have the MarkII stepper bit waiting in the wings. Same thing with my submitted, but not-yet-approved time of day module. Of course, it was lacking in several areas, so the ToD MarkII (half done on my bench, with improvements like 200x increase in precision, WWVB control, battery backup, etc.) will be ready when needed.

I figure it’s the bit LAB, not the bit all-finished-and-ready-for-market. I do however, find the feedback here in the forum to be much more extensive and helpful than the encouraging words one gets in bitLAB comments. Plus, I enjoy sharing my fiddlings with all of you all.

3 Likes

Hi @chris101,

Thanks, I love to run that in my free time:)

Those are the first RGB LEDstrip Bits(proof of concept). The final first prototypes can be seen in the community call of today!

2 Likes

Good info here in the last few days. I haven’t heard at all from the bitlab team. Which may be a good thing as it gave me time to make the range sensor into a proper module.

Now it’s of to my kids hands for testing and seeing what he can come up with.

3 Likes

Here’s my first failed attempt at etching and SMD soldering. Perhaps the op amp is not seated correctly? :frowning: There’s bound to be a better way to removed the PCB corners than with a dremel and wire brush attachment. The good news is I can only get better from here! :wink: Any advice would be welcome, crew! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yay, hardware debugging! The state of working notwithstanding, this looks like a great start! The connections to the caps resistor and led look really solid. The only trouble area is those tiny pins on the 321. Look closely at the soldering with a 20x or so magnifier - the middle pin looks iffy in the hi rez photo.

1 Like

Hi @JackANDJude,
I never soldered a board with SMD myself…
I is a real challenge I think.
I found a guy on instructables who made a little gadget and at the same time explained a lot of practical things about SMD soldering, so maybe it is interesting for you to take a look ?:smile:

2 Likes