Let me help you #MakeYourOwnBits

Hi @JackANDJude @shaiss @chris101 @Philip_Verbeek @joey @drthuler,
I would like to share my experiences with the bitlab with you :smile: :
First I submitted a relay bit and it stayed silent for a few months. Then it was published but it got not enough votes. Then Littlebits asked me to resubmit the same thing again (second chance) but with some more application examples. So I did resubmit with a new video, finally it also got not enough votes and it was silently removed.
Then I submitted a bolted version of the fixing shoes, this was rejected because only new bits were accepted, no accessories.
Then I submitted a reed switch bit which also got not enough votes and it was removed from the bitlab.
Both bits, the relay bit and the reed switch, were published for voting together with an alternative bit, submitted by another member. I received no remarks or comments to improve or change the design. :smile:

1 Like

The pleasure’s all mine!:slight_smile:

Pretty cool company you are keeping @Philip_Verbeek! What’s that thing in your hand? It looks interesting … :wink:

1 Like

My experiences are similar to your’s @alexpikkert. I submitted the stepper motor early as advised by the staff., and then continued to work on it’s development. If my module does not get 1K vote in 4 more weeks, then I will have the MarkII stepper bit waiting in the wings. Same thing with my submitted, but not-yet-approved time of day module. Of course, it was lacking in several areas, so the ToD MarkII (half done on my bench, with improvements like 200x increase in precision, WWVB control, battery backup, etc.) will be ready when needed.

I figure it’s the bit LAB, not the bit all-finished-and-ready-for-market. I do however, find the feedback here in the forum to be much more extensive and helpful than the encouraging words one gets in bitLAB comments. Plus, I enjoy sharing my fiddlings with all of you all.

3 Likes

Hi @chris101,

Thanks, I love to run that in my free time:)

Those are the first RGB LEDstrip Bits(proof of concept). The final first prototypes can be seen in the community call of today!

2 Likes

Good info here in the last few days. I haven’t heard at all from the bitlab team. Which may be a good thing as it gave me time to make the range sensor into a proper module.

Now it’s of to my kids hands for testing and seeing what he can come up with.

3 Likes

Here’s my first failed attempt at etching and SMD soldering. Perhaps the op amp is not seated correctly? :frowning: There’s bound to be a better way to removed the PCB corners than with a dremel and wire brush attachment. The good news is I can only get better from here! :wink: Any advice would be welcome, crew! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yay, hardware debugging! The state of working notwithstanding, this looks like a great start! The connections to the caps resistor and led look really solid. The only trouble area is those tiny pins on the 321. Look closely at the soldering with a 20x or so magnifier - the middle pin looks iffy in the hi rez photo.

1 Like

Hi @JackANDJude,
I never soldered a board with SMD myself…
I is a real challenge I think.
I found a guy on instructables who made a little gadget and at the same time explained a lot of practical things about SMD soldering, so maybe it is interesting for you to take a look ?:smile:

2 Likes

Thanks @chris101! It works now. :slight_smile: @alexpikkert, I’ll give that instructable a read. :smile: Something to think about for attempt 2 is how to solder bitsnaps if the circuit is all topside… :interrobang:

3 Likes

Hi @JackANDJude,
great success !

Attempt 2:
Put the bitsnaps on upside down? (when the smd parts are not sticking out too much…)
Soldering the bitsnaps when the circuit is all topside needs a double layer pcb I think…
I stumbled upon yet another instructable:

maybe there is something in this story you can use. happy reading… :grinning:

Hi, I am new to the forum and to LittleBits. I want to design some bits, but it is not clear to me how to find out if the bit I am thinking of is already being developed by another person. I went to the bitlab area and I see only 3 bits that were voted to become bits and a few going to production, and the area labeled as “dreaming” about a bit did not seem to represent what work is likely being done in the community. So is it possible tell if the bit I want to develop is already registered, please?
Thanks kindly for your reply.

I suggest starting another forum post with your idea and mentioning some of the ppl on this thread. Someone will jump in and help out. But we need the detail on that bit. You’ll notice in the bitlab that some duplicates exist like the joystick and Reed switches. The lb team is supposed to be working on a new bitlab for us to submit too.

I would like to connect an sd-card to store data locally. I would normally stream it off a cloudbit but I do not always have internet connection.

I’d think your best bet is the arduini bit and wiring an SD card breakout to it. I have both of those but haven’t had this use case. I’ll take a look and get back to you here. But I’d think it wouldn’t be to hard.

How about using the cloudbit and IFTTT to log to a Google sheet?

The problem with cloudbit is that it requires internet connection. I can’t count on that. So like to dump data locally. If you do something with arduino and sd-card, like to hear about it.

Hello Bit Community!

I am working on a school project where we have to make an assistive device for someone in our community using littleBits pieces. My partner and I would like to make some sort of shoe tying robot. We are just reaching out to see if anyone has made something of this sort, bits we might need, or help on how to set this project up. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Welcome, @DSween007! I’ve done a little work with robots in LittleBits, but nothing with the articulation or fine-grained control you’ll need for this. Here are a few things that come to mind:

1. What assumptions can we make about starting and ending conditions? Do you need to detect the laces and pick them up? Can you assume someone will put them into whatever manipulators your project has? Does it have to double-knot? Does it release automatically at the end, or does the user participate in removing the robot from the laces?

2. This project for a rock, paper, scissors-playing robotic hand probably covers a lot of the ground you need as far as the right bits and how to combine them:

https://classroom.littlebits.com/projects/animatronic-hand

I don’t know how much grip strength that hand can provide, nor whether it even makes sense to emulate a full hand — maybe it would be easier to conceptualize like knitting? I do expect that you’d need something this insofar as you would need servo motors to turn things, an Arduino or CodeBit to sequence the instructions to the motors, and possibly a bend sensor to test tension in the laces. (I have no experience with the bend sensor, just guessing there.) You’ll need something like Meccano or Erector to fabricate the mechanicals, since there aren’t really LittleBits parts for those.

You might find some further inspiration from the Base Inventor Kit, which includes a design for a claw to grasp things. Hope this helps!

Hi Philip!

I have a Volca Modular that I would love to send pitch and CV into from Ableton. I have CV tools, and a midi controller…

What do I need bare bones?

Do you have a DC coupled audio interface?
You need that to be able to use CV tools.
The usb i/o bit (w27) is a DC coupled interface, that is easiest, but it is only 1 channel in/out, so it probably won’t fit your needs
If you use another interface you need to make sure the output stays within 0…5v.
I recommend the Motu interfaces.

Alternatively if you are not using the CV tools in Ableton you could use the midi bit, which functions as a usb midi to gate+cv interface.
Other midi to cv solutions are also possible, but you need to keep the voltage range into account.

It is also not that hard to setup the arduino bit as usb serial to gate/cv signals and to wrap this in a max for live device. But… the cv might not be accurate/stable enough for pitch information.
I hope this helps