Is it possible to control a w30 ble bit from a custom-made app?

Hi, folks.
I’m a software developer and I’m starting to play with LittleBits now.
And I’m curious, is it possible to connect my own app with the bluetooth (w30 ble) module?
I tried to pair without the LittleBits app, but the ble module keeps refusing the connection.

Cheers

1 Like

Hi @vitalianoneto,
I am not a software developer, but I found something on Github that could be interesting, but I’m not sure… Just take a look…:fearful:

https://github.com/khanning/littlebits-ble-extension

2 Likes

@vitalianoneto I would troubleshoot with CS by emailing support@littleBits.cc if you can’t connect to the official app. They can help out.

If you are using android and having app trouble, try enabling location services/GPS - some phones require that to be on to use the necessary sensors in the phone.

As of right now, I don’t think it’s possible to connect the BLE with a private app. But, hack away if you’d like to (although, it will likely void your warranty).

1 Like

@alexpikkert you are awesome, the link you posted solved my problem! Thank you!

1 Like

Hi Theodore @theodore_littlebits,
Can I brick my Bluetooth BLE bit w30 by experimenting with other software? Just curious, my official Littlebits app is working fine…
:grinning:

Hi Vitaliano @vitalianoneto,
Great to hear you can use it ! :grinning:

I started experimenting with the “app inventor” from MIT(see here) and I was also looking for some tricks to control a w30 BLE bit. They do have programming blocks for bluetooth but I do not really understand them (yet)… the MIT app inventor programming environment looks nearly the same as the Littlebits software used with the new Littlebits code kit…
I did manage to make an app to switch the Arduino MKR1000 ON/OFF via WiFi, I posted it in their gallery, if you want to see it just search there for “mkr1000”.
Can you perhaps give me some hints how to control the w30 bit with the MIT app inventor?

Hi, @alexpikkert.

I didn’t knew the “App inventor”, so I went to check out, and I was able to connect using the BLE extention (http://appinventor.mit.edu/extensions/) and sending some values to “w30 BLE”. The BLE has some specifications like the service UUID and the Characteristic UUID.

If you want to I did a simple project with the right UUID values and uploaded it here: https://we.tl/ysgWTBrVyK

Cheers

Hi @vitalianoneto,
Thanks ! this is exactly what I was looking for!
The app connects when in companion mode, however not when I compile the app to a real apk file and start it without the app inventor…
And in both situations the “turn ON” and “turn OFF” buttons do nothing.
They are programmed exactly the same, looking at their blocks ? I do not understand…
Should the “value” or “offset” not be different ?
:worried:

I was using the value 0x0002FF to turn on and 0x000200 to turn off, but it seems that when I exported the project it changed the hexa values to 0.

Hi @vitalianoneto,
Adding these values in the value boxes does not work…
Can you maybe share a printscreen of the blocks for the buttons 1 and 2?
:grinning:

Try to put the values in decimals, 767 to turn on and 512 to turn off.

Sorry no response… :joy:

@alexpikkert
I was finally able to test the project that I sent to you and I couldn’t turn the led on/off neither. I was able to use the “nRF Connect” Android app to turn the led on/off using a byte array with 3 bytes, so probably this is the problem, as WriteIntValue writes 4 bytes, I tried to use 3 WriteByteValue also, but without success.
I will keep searching, but the BLE extension don’t have a good documentation.

1 Like

Thanks @vitalianoneto,
I appreciate your search very much!
I am trying also different settings in the MIT app inventor.
Take your time, there is no deadline… :grinning:

Hey all,

I also looking for help to control droid using app inventor any help on this would be appreciated. This is my first time trying to connect to Bluetooth LE using app inventor but I have messed around with app inventor itself.