Gadgets and Gizmos Workshop

Hi Everybody! I just facilitated a workshop using the Gadgets and Gizmos kit and had great success! In addition to the Gadgets and Gizmos Kits, we used the MakeyMakey bit add-on as well. Below is the workflow from the day. Hopefully you find this helpful!

Camp: 2 hours (9am-11pm)
Ages: 3-5the grade

Step 1: Remove all instructions from the kit (That is, DON’T give them the direction).
Step 2: Give students 10 minutes to accomplish the following: “Create a buzzer whose volume can be adjusted”.
Step 3: Give students 10 minutes to accomplish the following: “Create a buzzer whose volume can be adjusted using a flashlight”.
Step 4: Give students 10 minutes to accomplish the following: “Create a motor whose rotation can be adjusted manually”
Step 5: Give students 30 minutes to respond to the following prompt: “Now that you understand how the Gadgets and Gizmos kit works, create a car that can be controlled remotely.” (this task worked really well as it still included the need to individually figure out hot ow the wireless devices work. They quickly realized that the “receiver” and “transmitter” language"
Step 6: Demo how to use the MakeyMakey add-on and give students 1 hour to respond to the following: “now that you understand how the MakeyMakey add-on works, invent a remote control for your car.”
Step 7: Give students 30 minutes to respond to the following prompt: “Now share you car with another group and train them on how to use your remote.”

1 Like

I love this idea of not using the booklets and letting the kids just go for it. I know @pipemoreno21 is very interested in this type of work.

@PaulD how are your workshops going? Ramsey has some good information on introducing bits to your classroom.

@StephIrish How’s it going with your bits? What’s worked for you when introducing your students?

Very cool! Thanks for sharing! Letting the kids experience the kits by themselves it is a great dynamic!

2 Likes

Excited to learn how you are using the Gadgets and Gizmos kit. Please share any ideas or insights you have! Excited to connect! @pipemoreno21

1 Like

@Annavkelly have you tried this?

No, I haven’t. I might in the summer. It looks like I am doing clubs after lunch in the school district’s summer program.

Because the school also has a workshop set and a one-of-everything collection, most of my evening club attendees already know how to control a buzzer’s volume. We haven’t explored the light sensor much yet. Motors and servos get used extensively.

I’ve had 2 students so far who came up with the remote control car. One of them did so with the help of a few high school robotics team members (they volunteered for a couple of days). The other one was a member of the school’s Lego League team.

Now that my semester is almost over, I will have time to explore other bits like the MakeyMakey…and upload projects finally…I have video compilations of my spring break camp too.

It’s going great! I found that showing my students some youtube videos and then letting them “play” with the bits for a little bit was a great way to get them to interact with the bits! They’re becoming pros quickly!