Finish line detector for toy cars

Thanks for getting the ball rolling on this, @The_Monkey! Which kit do you have? I’d like to use the same bits you have, so we can work together. :car: :bus:

I have the space kit and the base kit

OK, cool! So do you have an idea already?

Not really. What about you

What did you use? A motion detector would be too sensitive. The bendy trigger might work. Is there a contact sensor?

Maybe the remote trigger combined with the IR led will do the trick. Mounted next to each other and put some reflecting material on the car so when it passes the IR beam will be reflected into the trigger ?

1 Like

@The_Monkey Jack is off from school this week (it’s Spring Break). After the community call this afternoon, I’m going to put the base kit and space kit on the kitchen table and brainstorm. :smile:

Thanks @mary_hickey and @alexpikkert for the ideas. Keep 'em coming! :smile:

1 Like

Remember your train detector project @JackANDJude? @The_Monkey You could do something similar. Have a Bright LED and a Light Sensor to detect if a car passes the finish line. :wink:

2 Likes

@JackANDJude
Can you please test my idea? I do not have both bits and I am very curious if this really works… thanks !

@Birish03 @The_Monkey @alexpikkert I’ll try that and post results.

1 Like

I’ve gathered supplies, and I’m ready for experimenting.

2 Likes

@alexpikkert @Birish03 I didn’t have much luck keeping them NEXT to each other for reflecting back. Maybe someone else can try building a lego enclosure that does this. I put them opposite each other. When a (tall enough) car blocks the beam and then the beam makes contact again with the remote trigger, the bright led shines.

I have the IR LED and I am expecting a order to arrive on Monday, so if the problem isn’t fixed by then I will do some experimenting with it. :blush: @JackANDJude can you tell me where you got that “snap’em together” sign?

1 Like

Maybe when the final project is done you could use the microphone and speaker to play a sound of a crowd cheering. :wink:

1 Like

@Birish03 I got it at a Make & Much event that was held in New York City this weekend. :smile: :pizza:
For now if you have the bright led and light sensor, you can try that and post a tiny clip of that test working.
This finish line detector stuff is a collaborative effort… :car:

1 Like

opps wrong person. :confused: I meant @The_Monkey

OK, @The_Monkey, I guess I cheated here by adding a latch. I needed it to play a xylophone with a motor.

The circuit shown is power + long led + light sensor (dark) + number + wire + latch + DC motor. I could have just used a buzzer instead of the latch and DC motor. :smile:

@The_Monkey, can you try testing an idea of yours? Post a short video of it here. We can turn it into a more official project after we’ve tested a few ideas. :smile:

2 Likes

Check out this lap counter by @dadcapades

1 Like

What an innovative use of roller switches!

Lol. I saw this topic and was all like “hey, I’ll post my lap counter!”

We’ll have to get the project uploaded this weekend.

1 Like