DC motor/Fan: Is it possible to create a quadcopter using LittleBits?

You can skip to the last sentence of the second paragraph below if you have not the patience nor the time to read the story behind it.

I recently got a cheap, plastic quadcopter for Christmas. Of course, due to it’s lack of quality (and partially my own stupidity), one of the propeller rotors was yanked out of the circuit and the quad became a dysfunctional tri, doing sad little flops instead of happily hovering. I tried separating the circuit and building a frankenstein tricopter out of lego and the remaining rotors, but the mass was too great for the three tiny weak rotors to bear. It would have worked if the fourth rotor were still attached, but I couldn’t solder the wires for they were too tiny and I do not own a soldering kit. The rest of Christmas was spent mourning at the loss of the short-lived aircraft until I had an idea: a LittleBit Quadcopter.

Of course, the practicality of this idea comes into question regarding the complex nature of the circuits that serve in any remote controlled aircraft. I’ve thought about it and solved every problem that I could think would arise if I were to manufacture such a craft, and the only question standing in my way is ‘What on Earth do I use for rotors?’ and the idea of using either four of the fan bits or to use the DC motor bits as the motors which I can attach props to, but will it work? How fast do the DC motors spin and how fast do the fans spin?

You should pursue this @Decent_Salt! Head over at the Project Discussion Category to get some advice from other bit’sters :smile:

I think that littleBits needs a more powerful motor. :neutral_face: