Creating a debonair drawing robot

Overview

This topic is a place to share and discuss the idea of creating a drawing robot.

Motivation

Program a robot to encapsulate and emulate the idiosyncrasies a human artist brings to a drawing which is often times lost with the mathematical charm of vector graphics.

Resources

Special Thanks

A huge shout out to @JackANDJude for helping lead me down this path.

2 Likes

After attending the community call demoing “musical May” projects, I began to think about how to create a drawing robot that had a more lyrical style.

I read a lot of comics and sometimes in the “back matter”, the creative team will list what they were listening to when writing / drawing. This got me thinking that if I add inputs like a microphone or sound-trigger I can have that alter how the drawing is output.

Is anyone familiar with any projects which use sound input(s) and has a resultant mechanical output that has been altered by the sound input?

@pcc we’re collecting some projects like that over here: discuss.littlebits.cc/t/make-it-dance/21965/

Also, I wanted to share with you a drawing littleBits robot I saw on instagram today:

1 Like

How’s it going, @pcc? Have you tried building a drawing robot with littleBits? I’d love to see what you’ve tried or even a napkin sketch of a circuit. Perhaps you could share a work in progress for our Community Call at the end of the month? (no pressure!) :slight_smile:

@JackANDJude, I just received my student set and made the “Art Bot” detailed in the quick-start instruction booklet(page 14) from the base kit. I included some project pictures, videos, and details below.

Twain Twine Tagger

Art Bot’s little brother with Hartford Panache

First Drawing

Twain Twine Tagger’s First Drawing

Twain Twine Tagger’s First Drawing - Different angle.

in action

middle sized Technic axel (Size 8)

largest sized Technic axel (Size 9)

smallest sized Technic axel (Size 5)

static

Lego Technic Axels

Lego Technic Axels & Wheel

assembled w/ size 9 Technic axel.

Exciting! :smile:

Here’s an idea: You can add a long led and capture a light paint photo with a slow shutter app on your smartphone.

Hi @pcc,
I used a sound trigger that activates 4 servos, each moving a wooden leg. By changing the distance between the hinge and the servo arm you can set the length of the movement and the direction.
I noticed these legs are extremely strong, so maybe you can use this to activate parts that can draw instead of the legs I used…
see:

1 Like

Overview

Bumping this topic to continue to share and discuss the idea of creating a drawing robot.

Motivation

Program a robot to encapsulate and emulate the idiosyncrasies a human artist brings to a drawing which is often times lost with the mathematical charm of vector graphics.

Resources

Special Thanks

A huge shout out to @JackANDJude for helping lead me down this path.

1 Like

@FunRobotics have you tried drawing with your Robotic Arm? :grinning: