Connecting littleBits to Lego Mindstorms

I have a crazy idea to create a bit that would connect the Arduino to Mindstorms. I asked my dad and he thinks it is doable. Has anybody tried that?
Lego Mindstorms has many sensors than littleBits, so it will be cool to combine them together.

2 Likes

Hi again @Anahit,

I didn’t use the Arduino bit for this project, but I did interface littleBits with Mindstorms, … in an unusual way.

1 Like

Hi @chris101,

Good idea! So it is a mechanical connection which is great for simple inputs and outputs. Have you found the description of the I2C interface with the sensors? It would be cool to find a way to drive the color and proximity sensors.

I have, and while it is similar to i2c, it does not follow the protocol exactly. As such, I believe the Wire library for Arduino will not work.

Perhaps someone could write code that would read the output of a sensor through the usb connection on the Mindstorms brick?

That said, if I was wanting to use those sensors, I would use a regular Ping sensor and take a look at @JackANDJude’s color sensor prototype, rather than try to decipher and reverse engineer Lego’s proprietary code.

1 Like

I know this thread is a bit old, but I wanted to mention something I discovered that would let you connect the LEGO NXT computer to an Arduino. I have been wondering if this could be adapted to connect to the Arduino Bit. The connector is this one from Dexter Industries. I thought I had bookmarked a project that had already made the connection from LittleBits to LEGO Mindstorms using this method, but I can’t seem to find it again. I may play with the Dexter connector and if I get it working I’ll post an update here.

OK, never mind. I actually found the thread I was mentioning here on the LittleBits forum. I had bookmarked it in my account and not in my browser. This is for the EV3, but I only have a NXT so maybe between the two bits I can get this working on my NXT.