Connecting circuits and emotions

Continuing the discussion from littleBits Workshops Engage & Inspire! and Event Idea: littleBits Workshop about Diversity

Connecting circuits and emotions is a space of innovation that brings new ways of learning digital education, programming and robotics, from a human dimension and in relation to art.

The approach is based in the use of new technologies as a practical means of introducing computational thinking concepts, and developing socioemotional skills within a group of people.

This project aims to give an answer to a specific need to adapt classroom pedagogies to a constantly evolving digital culture, focusing on “making” to get students to find more meaning in their own learning.

Context

I live in Argentina; a country full of talented people with an extreme fragile economy. In the last years, I’ve been sharing my passion for littleBits with lots of different people in lots of different contexts. I see littleBits as the best tool to bring electronics undestanding closer to anyone, and this urge for accessibility is what inspires me, and aligns me to littleBits mission.

Unfortunately, the price of this tool makes it privative to most of us, not only in Argentina, but in all the region. I always tend to get the same answer from educators: “I love littleBits, but I can’t bring it to my school because we can’t afford them”. I can’t stand this, because I want all kids from Latin America to have the same learning opportunities than kids from USA or Europe, and in today’s world that means having the same access to information and the best learning tools like littleBits.

That’s why I’ve been trying to invent a way in which we could stop seeing the world with a black or white perspective, and start thinking different. I want to offer the idea of using littleBits in a different way than is normally offered (that I’m sure is the best way to take full advantage of the product, but it’s not the best way for us). Instead of thinking one kit for 2 - 3 students, I believe in the idea of 1 Bit per student. And for getting some results with so few resources, we will have to learn about sharing, and adapting our creative desires to the materials available around us. So we can inspire a true generation of changemakers that one day will transform our economy, and buying educational kits wont be a problem anymore.

Well, this is what I’m up to now and I wanted to share it will all of you. Then, I will start sharing the methodological approach that I’m developing, and a few insights on the brand identity of this old new project.

2 Likes

Before I continue, I feel my nearby friends should be updated on these ideas. They are doing tremendous work on innovation & learning at EduMakers and Yuken, and I’m sure some fresh ideas or different looks on something can enrich their work.

Hello María (@maria_renard), Carlos (@cosoriou), and Valeria (@valelrt). How are you?

No answer required, I just wanted to give you a shoutout.

1 Like

The basics

The core idea of this workshop/methodology is to establish a one-to-one relationship between a person and a littleBits module ( :bust_in_silhouette: :arrows_counterclockwise: :bitstar:).

So before we can start playing, each person needs to chose their own hardware avatar that will represent him or her during the game.

One way, is to put the selected Bits on a table and make them choose their own. But when the number of participants is bigger, an option is to make them choose between the different categories of Bits before they select their final module.

I found that the second option is really interesting to start learning from the beggining that there are different parts in circuits that play different roles, and is specially relevant to the development of the activity, in order to reach the ultimate goal that is recognizing the value of diversity.

I made a form to start collecting analogies between categories and personalities. If you want, you can give it a try: https://forms.gle/1QYZiskejT32Xo4z8

This is not an easy question to answer, and normally it requires to give some examples, like Are you a person of action? (OUTPUT), or Are you good at listening or observing the world around you (INPUT), or Do you like connecting people? (WIRE). With the POWER category, I always found it difficult to explain what it would be to feel identified with a blue Bit. The first word that came to my head was energy, but what would it mean to be an energy person?

I’m grateful that in my last try of this idea, an 8th grade girl gave me a totally natural answer. She said “energy is motivation”; energizing a group of people or a project means injecting the necessary motivation to make things happen. This blew my mind and made me feel certain that this workshop/methodology should start with the question:

What type of personality do you feel you have?
Are you a Blue, Pink, Orange or Green Bit?

Leo, I really enjoy the content you share with us and am so excited to hear about what you’ve been working on. I never would have thought to approach littleBits with social emotional learning, but such a great concept and a way to quickly engage students in thinking about what type of person they are and how the Bits work together. Naturally, a room full of just one color Bit wouldn’t enable any creativity or solutions - it takes several different Bits to bring forth inventions!

I love connecting people and making things happen, so hard to say if I’m a WIRE or an OUTPUT Bit. Which one are you?

That’s the point! Impossible to say better, thanks. I guess we tend to develop relationships with like-minded people, because that makes us feel better with ourselves and our beliefs. But if we lock ourselves in our own color, not only we won’t be able to find solutions to real world problems, but we also take the risk of being intolerant of people who don’t see the world like us.

Therefore, I think that one of the main objectives of Connecting circuits and emotions is to show the value of being different

Answering your question, if I had to pick only one color to reflect my personality, I guess it would be pink, because I’m always looking around exploring the world with my senses. But lately, if what is needed is a little motivation to energize a process, I feel really happy to play the role of a Blue Bit. @vicki_littleBits we could make a good team! .

1 Like

Awesome! :raised_hands: Now, we just need an INPUT to fill out our new team. littleBits community, any Pink Bits out there? :smile:

1 Like

Hi @leo and @vicki_littleBits,

I like the idea behind this, personally I will be a pink bit.
And particularly the random bit.
I possess the ability to change ideas randomly :crazy_face:
But this makes my personality kind of unique I guess …

Greetings

3 Likes

Hi @Frankje that’s awesome!! The idea behind this project is to celebrate diversity, not only to respect each other in our differences, but also to feel better with ourselves by realizing that we’re all unique and wonderful.

One thing that I noticed while playing this game is that sometimes we see ourselves with a certain color of personality, and during the activity we might change that perception while interacting with others.

So I guess one of the outcomes of connecting circuits and emotions is to get the idea that we can learn more about ourselves by sharing with others in a context of diversity.

@Frankje what I like about you being a random bit is that you will need another input module before you to work fine. That would make the circuit bigger and diverse. So… I wanted to invent a game around these ideas, but maybe you can use your randomness to change things and make something completely new?