Connecting arduino shields to the arduino bit

Hey guys. So I am working on a school project and, in all honesty, I don’t know what I’m doing. Basically I want my arduino bit to communicate with google map directions and I think I’ll need to add a gsm shield and a gps shield. Is there anyway to add those to the arduino bit, or is there another way to get the arduino bit to communicate with google maps? Please make all explanations as simple as possible, I really don’t know what I’m doing :rofl:

1 Like

Hi @Imaan_1538 :wave: Arduino shields are typically made with pins that line up perfectly with a particular Arduino. Currently there is no commercially available shield for the littleBits Arduino. However, the littleBits Arduino can attach to a multitude of modules by using extra pinholes. These pinholes can be accessed if you solder pins (male or female) to the littleBits Arduino.

I suggest you find a module that has an existing tutorial and wiring diagram for hooking it up to an Arduino. Share links to those tutorials, wiring diagrams, and a link to the module itself. Then Bitsters here can try to help you figure out how the wiring diagram could be reworked for littleBits.

But FIRST, can you tell us more about your school project? Tell us your hopes and dreams. Stick figure drawings are welcome. :pencil: :smile:

Here are some resources for you.

http://discuss.littlebits.cc/uploads/default/11/99ec4d5d709b89d4.png

LittleBits ICSP:

…GND --> O O <-- RESET

Digital Pin 16 / MOSI --> O O <-- Digital Pin 15 / SCK

…VCC --> O O <-- Digital Pin 14 / MISO

1 Like

Hi @Imaan_1538

While developing the Beat Box project, I connected a MidiVox audio shield to my littleBits Arduino.

The attached picture shows the MidiVox connected to a regular Arduino. I usually build Arduino shields with headers that have long pins on the bottom and female receptacles on the top. So, in order to connect the shield to the littleBits Arduino, I connected the shield pins to the corresponding pins on the Arduino using male-to-female jumper wires.

Your sketch will need to read/write the Arduino pins to which the shield(s) are connected. If the GSM or GPS shield is accessed through a library, then you may (will) need to change the pin assignments in the library to match your connections

Output pins D5 and D9 are buffered, that is, D5 and D9 are each driven through an OP AMP. The buffering affects the signal timing when communicating with garden variety digital circuits like the GSM/GPS shields. To save yourself frustration, I don’t recommend using these buffered pins with the shields. Pin D1 is unbuffered and is OK. The ICSP signals and D10, D11 and D13 are also unbuffered.

The Beat Box project uses the ICSP signals in order to access the Arduino’s Small Peripheral Interface (SPI). The following page on my web site has some tips that you mind find helpful, especially on using a breadboard as a jig while soldering pins to the Arduino.

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/add-spi-to-littlebits-arduino/

Hope this info helps – pj

1 Like

@JackANDJude.and @pjd Thank you for your help, I really needed it and thus it is greatly appreciated :slight_smile: And @JackANDJude, for the record, the project I am working on is a decive that will vibrate when you’re walking the wrong way to a destination you specify. I would show sketches and pics and such, but I have none, so I will when I do :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hi @Imaan_1538

No prob!

I forgot that I hooked up a MIDI shield to the littleBits Arduino:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/connect-midi-shield-littlebits-arduino/

Not the same shield, but it’s another set of pictures and a few instructions. If anyone else is interested, this is a quick way to add a 5-pin MIDI interface to the littleBits Arduino.

Take care – pj

Hi @Imaan_1538 and @JackANDJude and @pjd !
I’ve found another way to connect a midi keyboard to the littlebits arduino !
There is a serial input which is perfect for serial midi data.
You can see it in action in my String Synthesizer design I’ve posted in the forum.
It’s a self made bit which consists of an optocoupler and some resistors and diodes.
Easy to use without the hassle of connecting wires to the arduino.
Soon, I will publish everything in the inventions sections with detailed building instructions.
Greetings

3 Likes

I guess this is the same principle as your earlier combination of the microphone bit + RGB led bit + light sensor bit?
Am I right ? :musical_score: :grinning:

You are completely right !
Sometimes when looking at a problem gives inspiration for another project :hugs:

2 Likes