Cardboard Sequencer & Other Noisemakers

1 Like

Hi Jude @JackANDJude,
How does it sound ? Will you also make a CD with this nice sequencer ?
I’ll keep an eye on the project page… :grinning: :musical_score:
My next project will also include a sequencer, but only with one split pin and some secrets…
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Maybe we can make music together…

1 Like

Hi Frankje @Frankje,
Reed switches is a good idea, but I will not include a motor… the handoperated sequence (forward and backward with different speed) is essential for the music…
Else it could be done by the existing Littlebits sequencer I22 which has 8 outputs and one trigger output…

1 Like

Hi @alexpikkert,
Indeed, a motor would be too much for this charming circuit.
Nothing better than to spin the wheel yourself :wink:

2 Likes

Hi y’all…

Before making a cardboard sequencer, I tried the optical tremolo effect as mentioned by @Schwa_Iska see

This is my little machine, motorized with the fan. When you connect it to the input of an oscillator bit it varies the pitch, so it acts as a vibrato, when it is connected to the trigger input of the filter bit it varies the volume so it is a tremolo… I think I will call it a vibrolo then… :joy: :musical_score:
I will experiment with the disk design, the first version generates block pulses (50% white and 50% purple). Funny thing: the sensor catches reflected light from the IR LED. A white surface reflects the light and a black surface should absorbe the light, but it did not work with black or any other color on the disk exept with the Littlebits purple color… :scream:
When I have recorded enough music variations I will publish a project with this little gadget…
Thanks @Schwa_Iska !

4 Likes

Yum! Can you explain the white paper over the light sensor?

Hi Jude,
It is a small piece of translucent plastic from a white coffee cup.
I placed it over the sensor to make it less sensitive. In fact the distance between the disk and the sensor was too small (appr 10 mm) and the small amount of reflected light from the purple part of the disk was also detected. The sensor is set on minimum sensitivity. I also glued a black plastic part with a small hole over the IR led to channel the beam.
It is all done by T&E (trial and error)…
:cold_sweat:

1 Like

What a wonderful concept !
I will try this one out with my synth kit.
Nice project and it looks good too :smiley:

1 Like

@alexpikkert,
That looks amazing!

I actually just came on here today because I just got the light sensor and I was going to talk about some early experiments. I’m definitely going to have to take a wack at this myself now. Very cool!

On another related note, I’d been trying to figure out how to do FM synthesis in a practical functional way for a while and I think I’m on to something. I don’t have much time to explain it right now, but it involves two oscillator bits. One being after the light sensor and another one controlling the flash rate of some LEDs. I’ll have more to report soon! :smile:

Hi @Schwa_Iska,
Do you remember that I have asked you such a project a week or so ago, to do FM modulation aka adding vibrato to the oscillator bits ?
Of course, you can modulate the VCO at the input, but there is no way to keep tune tracking correctly and to modulate the signal.
By now, I found two ways to work it out, using the arduino or to modulate the VCO, or to make yourself a bit module, which can combine the modulation wave and the tune input.
For such, we certainly need a sone wave. The arduino can generate a sine PWM or we can use brute LFO.
More of this will certainly follow shortly in this forum, and we can compare the circuits all together and make combinations :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

BTW, did you check out the string synthesiser that I’ve made possible into the littlebits environment ?

And oh, @alexpikkert, how did you manage to tighten the spin disc on the fan ?
Greetings

1 Like

@Frankje ,
I glued an M3 flathead bolt and a small metal ring on the fan…

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hi all,
I’ve posted on the inventions page a circuit which uses a RGB led and a Light sensor circuit to make up an opto coupler circuit. You can use this for introducing external audio wave forms ( a good example is the free IOS app Brute LFO ).
At the input of the light sensor, any littlebit can be placed and the output signal will vary with the audio input at the microphone bit.
We can make combinations of similar circuits to make the ultimate noise machine with rotating discs, breathing lights, etc. :sunglasses:

1 Like

My optical machine is ready to make some music, I will however need some more time before I can publish some result… :joy:

In the meantime I have made some pictures of the waveforms from
different disks for better understanding of the music they will soon make…
to be continued… :musical_score:

2 Likes

I’ve abandoned the cardboard sequencer to play with Lego, and I’m eagerly following your progress. These oscilloscope pictures are :top: .

1 Like

Fancy sounds, @Frankje :smile:. Thanks for posting!

Hi Jude @JackANDJude,
I have not put your sequencer aside, I really like the idea of activating parts of a synth setup with switches.
I put on my wishlist a symphony of rotating sequencer, disk vibrolo, mini pops rhythm, BLE control, mp3, Android synthesizer via microphone bit and LED + light sensor (thanks Frank @Frankje ) and maybe Theremin by light.
Step by step by making mistakes and learning…
:musical_score: :musical_score: :musical_score: :musical_score: :musical_score:

1 Like

Hello @alexpikkert.
This is awesome what you did with these discs, I think there exists a similar android of brute or you can record your own LFO in audacity and export is as wav.
If you need some music composition, I will gladly help.
For the moment I’m finishing the string synthesizer project to publish.
Greetings

1 Like

Hi Y’all,

Here is my light sensor tremolo in action:

I will also publish a project to show the making of the tremolo. :musical_score:
:

2 Likes

Magnificent Alex !
It looks as good as it sounds too :grinning:
I like the way how you combined motion and sound !
Hope to see more demos
Greetings

1 Like

Enjoy the making of…! :scream:

3 Likes