Bitsnaps documentation picture confusing

Hello - I am making some bitSnap connections and am confused by the picture on the packaging. The picture shows the male bitSnap with the “feet” pointing to the left, and a picture of the module being plugged into from a top view in the center. If one were to plug the bitSnap into the module the bitSnap would have to be flipped over and rotated (around the x axis) 90 degrees. This flips the order of connections, so that now VCC is on the bottom when plugged in, etc. But my feeling is that the picture is trying to show VCC as being on the top when it is actually plugged into the module. Can anyone clear this up for me? I’m hesitant to plug my connection and want to avoid putting power where it doesn’t belong. Thanks!

Hi @marcopolo,

Is this the diagram you are looking at:

I have added some annotations in red to clarify the orientation.

Hi @marcopolo,
I use an easy trick to be sure about the orientation:
Just click a grey bitsnap on the left side of an existing bit.
Then the top side (looking through the bitsnap from the top) is the VCC connection.
The same is valid for the right side of the bit.
Keep this in mind when turning the bitsnap to solder the bottom side connections…
:grinning:

1 Like

Thanks! So if I understand you correctly, when the bitsnap is attached to the littlebits part, VCC will be on the top. But what I am calling the top is the part that is furthest away from me, not the part of the bitsnap that is closest to me, which is what you have marked as the top in the picture. For example, if I am attaching to the arduino I have it vertically oriented (but flat on the table) so that I can read all the pin names. The bitsnap will be attached on the upper left of the arduino, and the top is furthest away from me. Will this be VCC?

(The other thing that is weird in the picture is that the symbols seem to be backwards, in other words the male bitsnap has an indented symbol on it, but, oh well…)

I’m using ‘top’ as in it’s the part that is opposite the feet that rest on the table - you know, like the roof is the top of a house. You are correct that the positive connector is the one furthest from you (when the writing is right-side-up), and ground is closest, and the variable signal is in the middle.

If you are looking at a bitSnap connector with an indented X in a circle, then you are looking at a female - an output - bitSnap.

That clears it all up, thanks again!

1 Like

Hi @marcopolo,
Two pictures where you can see the connection pins and the raised and indented symbols on the grey and green bitsnaps… :grinning:

1 Like

Nice illumination and orthogonal perspective!

1 Like