bitCraft (our Minecraft mod) is Live!

Congratulations to your hard work!!! BUT… :space_invader:

apparently some hacker opened a portal between bitCraft and my home. Yesterday my CloudBit began to make some weird lights that I’ve never seen before, and next thing was discovering this Minecraft guy in the backyard (the one on the left)

I don’t know what to do. Should I contact support@littlebits.cc or @lizabits can you handle this??

Maybe I keep it. It looks like a nice creature :smile:

1 Like

Great discovery of the UNKNOWN SECRET part of the cloudbit !
:scream: :cold_sweat:

1 Like

Any possibility of making the mod downloadable outside of Technicpack? That would be helpful. It might be interesting to include it in other modpacks elsewhere as well.

@Bytron3039 Yeah! Actually, I’m planning to have a download of just the mod available over the weekend. Integration with other modpacks is something I’m super interested in, and would love to do! I do plan to try and have it in other launchers as well, Technic was the easiest to start with, but I’m definitely planning on having it many other places.

Oh my @leo - it seems the same thing happened to my desk this morning…

:wink:

2 Likes

This is SOOOOOOOOO amazing! I can control my house with Minecraft! This mod is flawless, not one problem since i got it! :grinning: Do you think you could add one more thing to this mod? A wireless transmitter and receiver digital bit. This would make the possibilities limitless since we wouldn’t be limited to the wire of redstone!

2 Likes

@Bytron3039 As promised, here’s a link that should provide a direct download for the mod file: [bitCraft JAR file][1]

In fact, as of now, the code is in a [public github repo.][2] The latest version of the JAR should always
be available there.
[1]: https://github.com/littlebits/bitCraft/blob/master/modpack/mods/bitCraft-0.1.3.jar?raw=true
[2]: https://github.com/littlebits/bitCraft

@PixelPlex Aww, I’m thrilled that you like it! I’mm curious about your suggestion, do you mean a transmitter and receiver that send redstone signals wirelessly in the game? If so, There’s actually another mod that does that, made ChickenBones, and I’ve been thinking about curating a bigger modpack that includes mods like this which work well with bitCraft.

Do you guys have a policy regarding inclusion of this in other modpacks? I was thinking it might be useful to include this in a pack of things that connect Minecraft to reality.

@Bytron3039 Yes, you’re free to include this in any modpack you’d like. I’ve updated the github repo with the modpack policy as well: https://github.com/littlebits/bitCraft It’s at the bottom.

If you put the pack together, I’'d be really interested in seeing it, please let me know! Out of curiousity, what other mods were you thinking of including?

I’d like a pack of “Fourth Wall Hacks” and I only know of three: bitCraft, ComputerCraft (via HTTP) and Web Displays. I’m interested in Minecraft as an interface to things outside the game; I think its potential as an editor for such things has barely been touched and bitCraft could be very useful in that regard.

2 Likes

Ok, folks. The bitCraft launcher and page have landed. It’s gettin’ real.

1 Like

Minecraft + littlebits = AWESOME but minecraft + littlebits + multiplayer = EXTREME AWESOME!!!

1 Like

@stan_littlebits Stan, I messaged you but figured I would ask here as well. You said that you originally wrote this for 1.8 but then made a 1.7.10 version because it is more compatible with a majority of mods. Would it be possible to make the 1.8 version available as well for those that want to use it? I was going to update it myself until I read that you already have the new version so I wanted to ask before doing a bunch of work.

Thanks!

I am a little confused by the versioning thing. If I just launch Mindcraft the mod isn’t there - I need to launch it through Technic - but then I’m using version 1.7.

How do I use the mod with 1.8? I’m a mindcraft nub. :wink:

@niteskype You don’t. That is why I am asking if they can publish the 1.8 version that @stan_littlebits said was originally written.

Mods typically use Forge to integrate with Minecraft. Currently, the majority of mods are written for 1.7.10 and not 1.8 (though more are being written for the new version). The issue is that there were a lot of changes between 1.7 and 1.8, so it takes time for everyone to update everything to make stuff compatible. Because of this, as I read in earlier posts, @stan_littlebits mentioned that the mod was re-written for 1.7.10 so that it would be more compatible with the majority of the mods out there.

Updating a mod can be a little complicated, especially between big versions like 1.7 and 1.8. because you need to update the dependencies such as Forge, but it doesn’t always work so easily. Plus you sometimes need to go back into the code and change things so that it reflects new API changes.

I was about to dig in and update the mod myself but then I read that there supposedly is already a 1.8 version of the mod, so I inquired about getting it so that I don’t have to do a bunch of work trying to update.

Also, you can run it without Technic Launcher, but it would require you to load Forge in your Minecraft directory and you would still have to be running 1.7.10.

I would also like a 1.8 version.

Well, since there is no response, I am working on it. Hopefully @stan_littlebits will publish the official version but in the meantime, it is a new project of mine. I have most of it updated but I am having to do a bit of troubleshooting because they changed the API a bunch.

@teknix @jerod_servatius @niteskype Hi all! I’m sorry, I dunno how this post slipped by me, I should have seen it earlier and commented.

Correct, the current mod version that is being distributed is compatible with 1.7.10, which is why that version of Minecraft is launched with technic launcher. @teknix has it exactly right, at some point in the development, we changed the compatibility of the mod to 1.7.10 so that bitCraft would be compatible with other mods, like project:red, computercraft, etc etc etc. The issue is that we changed the compatibility at a pretty immature state of development. So, while I have the 1.8 code for the previous version, the mod has changed a huge amount since then. In my opinion, it would be easier to start from the current mod to adapt a version that is 1.8 compatible.

@teknix You say you’ve started working on a port? I’d be interested in helping. Is there a github repo for this?