Automating (IFFT) Romance

The Internet of Things is one of the most popular topics in technology right now, and many would argue it’s the future of the internet. You can automate almost anything: the temperature on your thermostat, getting the weather report in your calendar daily or even get yourself out of an awkward situation by setting your phone to call you. Yesterday, I read an interesting article in WIRED:, which questions whether or not we’re taking it too far— we’re now able to automate love. You can send an automated “I love you” text to your partner every day, send alerts when you leave the office and even program digital reminders when to have sex.

Is this harmless? Or are these digital prompts in our relationships making us lazier, less accountable and less personal. I’d be upset if I knew my partner was setting these types of reminders. Where do we draw the line with automating our daily lives? I’d love to hear all your thoughts!

1 Like

@nickweinberg,
I think real love cannot be automated. Never.
With the IoT you can make the dull things in life easier to do so you will have more time to love the ones you’re with…

1 Like

@alexpikkert I’m with you on that one!

1 Like

Heh. Or … we could just off load the whole thing onto the machines. I may have a good start already with one of my projects. :wink:

1 Like

Wow! What an awesome project. Thanks for sharing @chris101.

Thanks Nick (@nickweinberg)! I wouldn’t actually recommend using it for that purpose though. For all kinds of reasons! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: