Q: What does it mean to be a littleBits Chapter?
Each Chapter is led by one person who either works with an organization or has access to a space that can host events. This volunteer represents his/her city by organizing events and workshops every month and a half.
As the Chapter Leader, you would be in charge of all the details for your local event such as:
— Securing a space to host your event
— Finding sponsors to cover event costs
— Marketing for the event, sharing pictures, promoting on social etc
—Growing your member base on your page on the littleBits site
—Uploading projects from the events on the littleBits site
— Serving as the main point of contact for HQ
Q: Does entering the Chapter Program mean we run exclusive littleBits programming?
No. As a matter of fact we want you to run whatever programming you usually do. We just ask that you include littleBits consistently in your events schedule and act as a connector for littleBits community members in your city.
Q: Do I have to pay for entering the program?
Q: Can there be co-leaders?
A: No. We require one point of contact for each chapter who serves as the face of that location. Behind the scenes, you’re free to organize your team as you see fit, but only one person can be the official leader. If during the course of the year you decide to switch leaders that is most definitely possible.
Q: Can an individual apply to lead a chapter or do I have to be part of an organization ?
Yes. But you need to have access to a space and of course lots of bits. At the minimum we request that you have a Workshop Set, Pro Library or something similar.
Q: Do you donate product to potential Chapter leaders who cannot afford it?
A: Unfortunately, not at this time. We'll be releasing a guide to help educators write grants for littleBits and have seen a lot of success by educator's who use Donors Choose.
Q: What type of support do we provide?
- Free creative and tech consultation! This means training, event guides and ideas for programming. A spotlight on our website and an easy way to grow membership and communicate with your chapter.
- Swag and access to product sneak peeks. The opportunity to sign up your chapter as an affiliate and sell littleBits in your space.
- Promotion of your programs through our blog, social and newsletter.
- A global support network of other organizations who will share knowledge and expertise.
- A 15% discount on all products.
Q: What is the commitment that you require?
- Each chapter is expected to commit to a year of hosting an event once a month, every month. Events can be held whatever day/time is more convenient for you.
- Attending a monthly hour-long call, where you will get to speak with other chapter leaders, share knowledge and build connections.
- Use the littleBits site to grow membership for your chapter, upload projects and connect with others in our forums.
- We have a pretty robust evaluation in place, that means we will be doing reviews along the journey to make sure you feel supported and successful as a global chapter.
Q: How much time typically goes into being a Chapter Leader?
A: On average, a leader spends about 10 hours a month building their community and preparing and hosting events .
Q: Can we charge for events in our space?
Q: Can we sell product in our space?
A: Yes. You can become a third-party retailer with a 30% margin for reselling physical product as long as you have a physical retail store.
Q: Do I have to use the littleBits website?
Q: Do I have to only use littleBits in my event or can I use other electronic platforms too?
Yes you can use littleBits alongside other DIY tools. We love collaborations.
Q: Is applying for a chapter first come first serve?
No, not necessarily. However, we do recommend that you get your application in as soon as you can. If we find a host we really like, we’ll grant them the chapter.
Q: What is the application process like?
A: First you will need to submit a form over here. Make sure to tell us about yourself and why you want to become a chapter. Sharing previous work, littleBits fan art and projects you made with littleBits is a bonus. Once we review your application we will get back to you to schedule a video call. You should expect us to get back to you within 10 days of the day you apply.
Q: What do Chapter events look like?
A: We're excited to announce our official Global Chapter Flickr page, dedicated to you and your photos from your events: https://www.flickr.com/photos/littlebitsglobalchapters. When you document your events, please email them to Nick (firstname.lastname@example.org) and we'll make sure to get them up on the site.
Feel free to share around the link! Spread the visual love.